Monday, March 15, 2010

Goodbye My Grandpa












These last several days have been days of contemplation. With our sweet Grandpa Seely nearing death, we have spent many hours in the hospital holding his hands, giving him water (and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, but that is another story), singing songs, Kortney playing the harp for him, the Dyers playing their instruments, laughing, talking about the memories, and crying because we will miss this man so much! Most likely he will pass tonight. I tried to stay around until he left, but the kids had had enough. I thought about making them just stick it out, but I have realized that death is a lot like birth. We really have no way of knowing when it will come. We are not in charge. I was finally able to let myself come home knowing that my Grandpa knows that I love him so much. He knows that I am so grateful for his example and the many things he has taught me. He knows that I have done my best to be there to support him and help him. And he knows that I have five kids who I am responsible to take care of. And when he gets to Heaven, he will know all that even better. I love you so much, Grandpa. I know you'll be preparing the way for us to see you there. I'll listen close to hear you cheering me on.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the phone call tonight, and for these beautiful pictures. Grandpa would often say, "We have such a neat family." I agree with him. Thank you for your example of how to show love in a family. I love you, Jess.

    ReplyDelete